The Adventures Of Glennjamin In Europe

Sunday, June 05, 2005

Church today

Today being Sunday, I decided to go to Church. So I did.

At Westminster Abbey. :D

It's closed to tourists on Sundays, but for all their services during the week and on Sundays, entry is free. I attended the 10am Matins service, and listened to the choir singing. I couldn't see the choir, as they were in the long central part of the abbey, and I was sitting just in front of Poets' Corner. After the service I went into Chapter House (amazing stained-glass windows, and some remaining original paintwork and statues from the 13th Century) and into the little Museum in the Abbey. They're currently celebrating the 1000th anniversary of the birth of St Edward The Confessor (King of England 1042-1066), who started the building of the abbey on the site of an older Saxon church. The building was finished by William the Conqueror just in time for him to start the tradition of coronations being held there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home