The Adventures Of Glennjamin In Europe

Sunday, June 12, 2005

Frenzy Festival - 11 June 2005

OK, this wasn't the reason I came to Scotland, but it was the reason I timed it as I did.

Headlining this one-day festival on the outskirts of Edinburgh were Third Day, who most of you know is my all-time favourite band. Also appearing were Deliriou5?, Rock And Roll Worship Circus, Dave Crowder Band, and others. Unfortunately, R&RWC had to cancel (I was looking forward to finally hearing them), and so the organisers flew in a replacement band, literally hours after playing in a festival in Amsterdam, to finish off the night. Luckily the event was in the Royal Highland Centre, next door to Edinburgh airport. Who did they bring in? The Newsboys!

I had to leave a couple songs into the Newsboys so I could make all my bus connections back to my hostel in time, but I did see all of Third Day's set. And it went OFF! It ROCKED! I was right up near the front, in the second row from the barrier, right by the stack of speakers. (Sorry? Did you say something? :P)

This was Third Day's first time ever in Scotland, and they played us two new songs from the album they're working on in the studio at the moment. I saw Third Day at Sonfest in Queensland in January, and this concert was just as good if not better! The new songs were very powerful, and I can't wait to hear the rest of the stuff they've been writing.

The MC of the festival had been wearing a kilt all day, but told us he'd try and convince one of Third Day to wear it onstage. In the evening he appeared wearing jeans. And when Third Day came on stage, Tai (bass player) was wearing a dark blue kilt with the St Andrews cross on it! He wore it proudly all concert. :D

My Gomer shirt hadn't arrived in the post from Australia, but to my surprise they were selling them at the concert (usually only available online) and they were rather cheap, so I... bought another one. :) And wrote "Glennjamin" in the space provided.

In the end I didn't manage to make contact with the Gomers I've met on the boards, but I did meet another Gomer, Graham, aka "Bungle Gomer" according to his shirt, in the queue. And got some great photos of Third Day in action. Well, from my side of the stage, most of the photos were of Mark.

Now I'm off to explore cold and cloudy Edinburgh. :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home