The Adventures Of Glennjamin In Europe

Monday, June 13, 2005

10 June - Funeral & trip to Edinburgh

For those that don't know, a family friend, Norman McLeod (or "Uncle Norrie") passed away not long after I arrived in the UK. The funeral was on the day I'd booked a bus ticket to Edinburgh. So after coming back from Cornwall, I had to rearrange my plans on how to get to Scotland.

Tom drove me in to High Wycombe in the morning, and I caught the 7.39 in to London, arriving in Marylebone at about 20 past 8. I then hopped on a Bakerloo tube one stop to Baker Street, where I could get the Metropolitan Line to Farringdon. Signal failure at Farringdon - they cancelled the eastbound Metropolitans, and huge delays on the Circle and Hammersmith & City lines. There were so many people on the Circle line platform I had to catch the 2nd train that came through. I left Baker Street station at 9 am. Got to Farringon, crossed over the walkway, down to the Thameslink
(National Railways) platform where a train was waiting - the 9:10 terminating in St Albans. Arrived in St Albans at 10 to 10, and caught a cab to the church. When I gave the address to the cabbie, he looked at my black suit and black tie and asked if it was a funeral. I said yes, but that I was travelling on - hence the guitar, camera bag, coat, and 20kg backpack ensemble.

The service was lovely, and there were some great tributes from Norrie's brother Angus, his granddaughter Rachel and son-in-law Rod. Some of the grandchildren memories were of being slipped the odd pound here or there (behind parents'/Lottie's backs) to supplement their pocket money. That certainly rang a few bells... :)

After the service the family went off to the cemetery, while everyone else was invited back to a community centre (across the street from the Cricketer's Arms, which isn't called the Cricketer's Arms anymore, it's opening soon as an Indian bar/restaurant. they kept the cricketer's painting but not the name) for lunch. I collected my bags from the church's community centre and walked (very slowly) down the street, following the usher's fairly simple directions. I found the place and started talking to a few others already there. I got quite a few laughs when explaining my connection to the family... Norrie once went out with my grandmother, and I think she met my grandfather while on a date with Norrie... Dad's parents and Norrie & Lottie remained friends for 60+ years...

I met the MacLeod daughters at various stages during lunch (approx 1pm), and when I introduced myself to Sheila as Glenn Davies she said "nice to meet you."... punchline coming soon...

After lunch, I finally got to see Lottie. She'd just finished talking to someone, and I walked up and said hello (that's it - just hello). She shook my hand, and said "Now who are you?... I know the face... not Glenn!" (Lottie introduced me to people in two ways - she would tell people that knew the Davies' that I was Pip & Jess' grandson, whereas a couple others she said I was the grandson of "one of Norman's old flames")... :D

After helping clean up the place (and glad-wrapping a few sandwiches etc for a doggy-bag for my train trip), Sheila, Lottie and I walked back over to Cricketer's Close (about 3pm by now) to put our feet up, have a cuppa, catch up, etc. A few other rellies were already there, including Angus MacLeod, who told me he stayed with Gran & Pop in Australia.

I was in the living room showing Lottie my photo albums from Kyoto when suddenly Sheila burst in from the kitchen and came over to me. "You're Pip & Jess's grandson!" she said. "Someone just told me. Now I know who you are!"... the name hadn't rung a bell before, obviously... :)

When talking about being slipped the odd pound, Lottie told the story of how Alastair and I chose to spend our pounds on carrots in Tesco's. She has memories of Alastair and I as "wee little boys, never worn shoes before, with itchy new jumpers" :D :D The garden looks much as I remember it.

At about 4.30, Lorna dropped me at the train station, and I caught the 4.39 to Kings Cross. Arriving at about a quarter past 5, I was in plenty of time to queue and find my train to Edinburgh. There were a couple delays but I got in at about 10.40, and got the shuttle bus to my hostel.

And when I checked my email at the hostel I found out that Alastair and Saara were now engaged. :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home